Search This Blog

Featured Post

2019 - 2020 Calendar of Events

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A genealogist is born

Can you help me find out about my Grandfather?



The following story is true, but the names are changed to protect the living.

One night, I was at work, and it was slow, so I was doing some genealogy work on my pc (shhh don't tell the boss)

Well the boss (let's call him Leroy), walks by, and we start talking about genealogy, and how I found my birth family last year.  Well he starts telling me about his family, and how he has all this info on his mom's side, as he grew up knowing her family. Then we get to his father, and well his dad (Lucas), didn't really know his dad (my boss's grandfather).  He asked if I thought I could find out anything about his grandfather.

I was up- to the task, so I asked for his dad's name and date/place of birth and his grandmother's name (his dad's mom).  He wrote it down and away I went.

Within minutes, I had Leroy's dad's birth information, including Leroy's grandfather's name (Charlie). I found both Leroy's grandfather Charlie and his brother, Clifton (with same parents) had ww2 draft records. I then looked on the census records, and found Charlie and Clifton with their parents, Moses and Jane.

Marriage records were searched, more census records, and more names, Frank, Henry, Paul, Lewis, George and Peter.

Within a few hours, and of course between doing my work, I had my boss's family back 10 generations. His family owned property back then, and most all had served in some war, from WWII  back to the civil war and the revolutionary war.  

I took the info to my boss, and he was floored!!!  He asked "you got all that from my dad's name and date of birth?  I told him yes, and while I didn't create a tree for him, I only had my paper notes, I did share the documents I found with him.

Leroy is going to talk to his dad, to see if he is at all interested and may get me to help him further if he needs it.


  Below is the line from Leroy to his 7x great grandfather...



Leroy
Lucas
Charlie  ----- Clifton
Moses
Frank

Henry
Paul
Lewis
George
Peter



I hope Leroy continues the search, and not only shares it with his father, but also his children, so they can know their heritage and that they come from a long line of men, who fought for the country they call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment