Search This Blog

Featured Post

2019 - 2020 Calendar of Events

Thursday, May 30, 2019

File Organization from a Scattered Mind's Point of View


How did I Start?

After writing this blog post over 3 years ago, I thought I'd share how my system has been set up and how it is working.

I opted to set up my files by file type
my files list
My Files list


    I love my system, it is simple and easy to find any record.
     
    • the list of folders (no additional folders "nested" inside each other)
    • a simple naming convention, and I utilize the metadata in file explorer (I use windows, but apple has a file explorer too) 
    sample of state cenus
    file naming convention and tags
    I love that the metadata (tags) are searchable in file explorer, so I can search for a year (1872) and I will get all files with 1872 in the file name or in the metadata tags.

    I created a few videos about tags, on you tube.


    Win 10 part 1

    Win 10 part 2



    I have tried other systems and could never remember how the system worked, and had to keep going in to see how things were filed, named, and what folder to put each file in, based on the person's name.

    Happy Hunting!!!

    ***************************************************

    (Originally posted back in 2015)

    How do I Start? 


    After reading others blogs and comments on Facebook about sorting and organizing one's files (both electronically and paper copies) I'm still trying to sort it out in my mind!  See I'm so organized, I feel & look disorganized....at least that is and has been my excuse.


    What I've seen and heard is

    • Sort by Family name
    • Sort by Person
    • Sort by Family group
    • Sort by document type
    • Sort by year


    My problem I see the pros and cons of all the systems.....Aggh calgon take me away!!! 

    So as usual, I know what I don't want, but not sure of what I want. And what I don't want is a lot of nested folders inside folders inside folders.....So is my answer to make a list of what I don't want, and eliminate those systems that have/enable those qualities and then pick from the rest?  Or do I use the capabilities of the pc (paper has no capabilities, it just lays in a file folder) and use shortcuts to place links into the electronic filing system where it needs to go?


    Decisions, Decisions!?!?!?!

    After careful thought and dreaming about the system I want....(does any one else do this?) I believe I have a beginning plan....

    Paper files by type (Federal Census, marriage, death, birth, christening, land, probate, etc)
    Reasoning: less files, and easy to find a file when needed.

    Computer files: originals filed like paper files, shortcuts filed in folders by family name, then given name
    Folder Smith
          Sub folder John
          Sub folder Mary




    No comments:

    Post a Comment