Search This Blog

Featured Post

2019 - 2020 Calendar of Events

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Watch the 2nd and 3rd steps, they are a doozy!!




 Watch the 2nd and 3rd steps, they are a doozy!!!

 While reviewing week one, I discovered a few things.

Step one: Setting Previous Research Aside

This was fairly easy.  I still haven't gathered all the past research to go through it, but I am aware of where I think it is.  I have a milk crate with most of my research, and all my photos are in a general location as well (thanks creative memories).  And I'm sure there is a hard drive or two, with old files stored on it, as well as a thumb drive with my old tree with a bazillion people who were never sourced or researched properly that I can easily find when needed.

Step two: Preparing to Research

I've cleaned off a desk in a spare room, right next to the milk crate and the photo albums.  I have my flatbed scanner right there, and well my printer is wireless, so it doesn't matter where it is, and the laptop is portable.  I found my library card and it is now on an app called key ring so when I go to the library I will always have my card # if I have my phone.

I've created a notebook in one note to save my notes and links for each research trip.  I've created a beginning filing system for my new files I find as well as ones I have in my paper files, that can be scanned and filed away.  My paper filing system is in process, but will mimic that of my pc filing system to help with continuity.

I'm still contemplating the photos (and there are a lot of those)  and how I plan to file them as they are scanned.




































Step three: Establishing Base Practices and Guidelines

Step two goes hand in hand with step 3.  Because without a good filing system which is a base practice to be established, you cannot be prepared to do research.  If you don't know how to cite a source, you aren't prepared to research.  This list is a work in progress and I will add to it as I find other practices I need to incorporate into my process. (suggestions are always welcome)

By writing them down I feel I am being held accountable.

The Base practices and guidelines I am establishing are
  • Everything gets a citation at time of being entered into the database (Family Tree Maker)
  • Every source will be copied, scanned, or photographed, and cited before being filed and entered into the database.
  • I will have a master excel template for each person, to "find the holes" (still working on file)
  • Any trees that "may" be able to be attached to my tree, will be quarantined as a separate tree until the connection has been proven, and then only the proven pieces will be added, and the tree will remain separate and quarantined until each piece is proven.

So week one has come and gone, and I still feel I'm not done, but as the title suggests, you could spend days and even weeks or months, setting these steps up and getting lost in the process.  The basics are done....on to week 2.


Week 2


  • Setting Research Goals 

    My goal is to search each person as thoroughly as possible, and remember, it's not about the number of nutz in my tree, but rather the quality of the nutz.  I want to get a better understanding of each person (nut), and help tell their life story.   

  • Conducting Self Interview

    Wow, this could take a while.  I mean 50 years worth of interviewing. Well I can always just hit the highlights...lol

  • Conducting Family Interviews 

    This one is the bane of my existence.  Both my parents are gone and I don't talk to my mom's side of the family any longer.  I can reach out to a few of my dad's side relative, however, mot are cousins and will be stories of the elders.  Most of the older family members are long gone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment