Search This Blog

Featured Post

2019 - 2020 Calendar of Events

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Week One

Setting Previous Research Aside- It has been several years since I touched my research, it is scattered on many hard drives and thumb drives.  So I vow to not go in search of it, until the time comes for me to organize all of the research previously done with the research I am doing over.
 

Preparing to Research- I have started a new tree in Family Tree Maker 2014 (a Christmas present),   and a new genealogy notebook in One note.I can access this notebook through any computer/laptop/tablet as long as I am logged into my email account. I can also use my phone to make notes in One Note.  So as items hit me that I need to do, I can easily add it to my to do list
.

Still working on setting up my new filing system, and having access to that system on my home network.

And last but not least for this week…

Establishing Base Practices and Guidelines
A new day, a new start, a new way of thinking

  • Focus: 

    • work one ancestor at a time, fully and completely.
    • Write their life story, don't just collect data.
  • Think: 

    • use all resources (online and offline)
    • Ask questions
      • Where have I looked?
      • Where haven't I looked
      • Where do I still need to look? 
      • What stone haven't I upturned?
  • Be Thorough:

    • Keep notes and logs. 
    • Keep my file names consistent, use tags so file names aren't so long.
    • Scan everything
    • File when found. DON'T WAIT!  
    • Complete CITATIONS on the spot.


  • Enjoy the ride...This is the best part!

No comments:

Post a Comment